As our population grows older and birth rates decline, the need for specialized and attentive care will continue to increase. With each passing year, the needs of our aging population becomes more important and more vital. This care extends to the home, nursing facilities, hospitals and rehabilitation centres. An aging population also means an increase in the needs of the support networks behind them. These networks include family members, nurses and caregivers. And as so much work, sweat and heart goes into the care of those we love, advocacy for caregivers and seniors alike should reflect this. We've put together a list of national and international resources and organizations to ease the process. Whether you're looking for medical information, looking to hire a caregiver, find a job as a caregiver, needs tips on dealing with an elder family member or want to find an advocacy group, there is a resource for you.
Dealing with the needs of an aging family member? Concerned about the effects and repercussions of alzheimer's, dementia and other medical issues? Want to find a caregiver in your area or perhaps find a job as a caregiver? We did extensive research to find the best resources out there!
- Homeinstead.ca - An organization dedicated to caring for the elderly, their website provides a breadth of information from home care, alzheimer’s, dimentia, arthritis, fitness and more. A great first stop.
- Dawnkairns.com - An online resource and a wonderful book, Final Years is a collection of stories from people dealing with tough decisions, emotional pain, depression, joy and the family dynamics surrounding old age care. Final Years on Facebook
- Caring.com - A massive online resource for those looking to hire caregivers. Home care, independent living facilities, nursing care, assisted living and more. You can search for senior care by city and state as well as browse their extensive list of helpful articles. Caring.com on Facebook
- Rightathome.net - A blog and resource for finding caregivers in the United States. They provide in home care for seniors as well as care assessment services. Rightathome.net on Facebook
- Care.com - Looking for a babysitter, dog walker, a nanny or senior care specialist? Want a job in any of those fields? Care.com is a World Wide resource for all of your care needs. You can review caregivers, post a job and post your resume for others to find. Care.com on Facebook
- Agingcare.com - With a large repository of articles, a senior care online community and caregivers resources, Aging Care is an all inclusive website. Their blog is highly recommended as well as their free helpful guides. Agingcare.com on Facebook
- Theseniorlist.com - The Senior List is a ratings and review portal for anything related to senior care. Product reviews, caregiver reviews, resources, articles and up to date news and information. It is the Yahoo! of senior care. They also have extensive tips for both seniors and caregivers. Theseniorlist.com on Facebook
- Mastersincounseling.org - An incredibly helpful and extensive list dedicated to grief and bereavement counseling. It includes 115 blogs related to grief and loss, resources, care centres, etc. Mastersincounseling.com on Facebook
Advocacy groups are continuously fighting for your rights as a family, a senior or as a caregiver. Many of the groups listed below are active at the state, provincial and federal level to ensure your voice is heard. Others in this list exist to empower an aging generation with the aid of modern technology, state of the art care and up to date information.
- Caringacross.org - Caring Across Generations is an organization for seniors, care workers and their families which fights to ensure their rights and quality of life. They lobby state and federal legislatures to fight on behalf of those over 65. Caringacross.com on Facebook
- Alfa.org - The Assisted Living Federation of America is the largest national association dedicated to professionally-managed, resident-centered senior living communities and the seniors and families they serve. It has been around since 1990 and has advocated strongly for the rights of those utilizing assisted living facilities. Also includes the ability to search for assisted living facilities. Alfa.org on Facebook
- Ncoa.org - The National Council on Aging is the nation’s leading non-profit advocacy organization representing older adults and the community organizations that serve them. Around for 60 years, the mission of the NCOA is ensure the quality of life of millions of seniors in the country. Ncoa.org on Facebook
- Caregiving.org - A non-profit established in 1996, the National Alliance for Caregiving is a coalition of national organizations focusing on issues of family caregiving. The Alliance conducts research, does policy analysis, develops national best-practice programs, and works to increase public awareness of family caregiving issues. Caregiving.org on Facebook
- Seniortechies.com.au - An Australian organization, Senior Techies aims to help seniors connect to family members using some of the latest gadgets. Teams of volunteers help train seniors to use tablets and smartphone to help maintain relationships with those they love. They aim to empower and enrich the lives of seniors and empower the younger generation at the same time. SeniorTechies.com.au on Facebook
- Asaging.org - Conferences, web seminars and publications: the American Society on Aging is an association of multidisciplinary professionals that provides educational, leadership development and networking opportunities to people who work with older adults. Founded in 1954, they aim to support and enhance the knowledge and skills of those who seek to improve the quality of life of older adults and their families. Asaging.org on Facebook
- Eldercarecanada.ca: The Elder Care Canada website includes information, books, blogs and services for all your senior care needs. Its main missions is to service caregivers and family members who need information of how to best manage the seniors in their lives. ECC can help you make a working action plan to help aging family members.
- Seniornet.org - SeniorNet's mission is to provide older adults education for and access to computer technologies to enhance their lives and enable them to share their knowledge and wisdom. Seniornet is not only a wonderful online resource, they have also worked to support learning centres all across the United States and other countries. It is an international non-profit. Seniornet.org on Facebook
If you know of any other resources, please feel free to emails us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment in the section below!