Are you passionate about death consciousness, green and alternative death practices, social justice, educational outreach and writing? TalkDeath is looking to hire a part-time writer, researcher, and social media manager!
Candidates must be well versed in death care (historical and contemporary), cultural diversity, and varied traditions and practices. Most articles on TalkDeath require background research and sources, and so successful candidates will be proficient at both research and writing. Candidates will also have excellent English written and verbal communication skills to communicate with sources and the TalkDeath community.
Responsibilities and Activities:
- Write 3-4 quality articles a month;
- Post on Social Media Daily – curating content and creating original content;
- Work closely with our editor to brainstorm content ideas;
- Create and manage Social Media contests;
- Design images and banners for website and social media;
- Produce short videos for social media (TikTok);
- Actively respond to social media messages, comments and emails.
- Passionate about the death care community, social justice, the principles of EDI, and green and alternative death care practices;
- Minimum 1 year experience as a social media manager;
- English writing proficiency;
- Research proficiency;
- Some WordPress knowledge;
- Canva proficiency;
- Good eye for design;
- Video production and editing experience;
- General familiarity with the death profession.
Examples of our work:
- Keepers of Culture: The Sacred History and Art of Caring for Black Deceased Bodies
- Michif Storytelling: Connecting Us To the Dead
- Race & The Funeral Profession: What Jessica Mitford Missed
- Yes, Abortion Grief is Real – Now Let’s Talk About it
- Trans Death Care Advocacy and Resources
- Becoming Human Compost: The Process of Natural Organic Reduction
Only candidates that apply with all of the below criteria will be considered. Individuals from equality-deserving communities will be prioritized.
- A cover letter stating your intent to apply for the position at TalkDeath, and why you are the ideal candidate. Your cover letter should include evidence of your commitment to the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion;
- CV (resume) listing your qualifications and relevant employment experience;
- Two writing samples (they do not need to be relevant to the topic of death);
- Optional: Social media content samples (copy, images and videos).
Hours: 15-25 hours a week
Job Type: Freelance/Remote position
Hiring In: Pacific, Eastern, Central timezones
Deadline to Apply: January 23rd
Email full application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “TalkDeath Application” in the subject line.